Tuesday, January 09, 2007

On PIR and the future of American decadence.

This morning The Price taught me some valuable lessons, which I would have written about this morning except the site wouldn't let me.

It would've been a joy filled PIR blog exclaiming the virtues of marketing through product placement, proclaiming Bob as a visionary with a humanitarian heart ('Remember to spay and neuter), and praising the ideals The Price puts forth.

This morning the final contestants on The Price showcase showdown were homely. That about as nice as I can put it. And, while in previous posts I've lamented the abuse of required beauty on television as a positive, this morning I felt differently.

I wanted to do a tribute to The Price as a humanitarian effort to bring together this great nation. I would have said very complimentary things about how even uglies get to play, that there is little to no discrimination and that the prizes and the hope dealt out on The Price are available to all.

I would have continued my tirade to share the virtues of The Price with my readers for page upon page. Even possibly I would have stated that the producers had created a perfect gaming ecosystem to spread the joy of life to these United States. The nation and it's people would have received my praise as well, for being the audience and the contestants, and for showing that everyone everywhere can be polite to each other (if only for the opportunity to win a pinball machine.)

Wow, what a wretched and horribly inaccurate blog that would've been. I would have been lying through and through. You may have felt better, smiled at people in the elevator or even said good-morning with a little more gusto, and then my lies would have created a virus with which false happiness spread throughout the world wide web.

The truth is that the producers don't care who wins, Bob doesn't care, and I'm sure now the audience doesn't, because I don't.

I really like when they lose. That last minute of "oh, come on, yes just one more.... no." That along with the look on their face, like this was their last chance at happiness and now they have to go back home to their painful life in Oklahoma. I bet you like when they lose too.

1 comment:

Alex said...

I'm not polite, even for a pinball machine, sellouts.